Sometimes we all get angry at our Point of Sale systems; when the touch isn’t working correctly, the MSR dies, or the display won’t stay on. I’ve seen thousands of POS systems come in for a variety of reasons, here’s a list of maintenance must do’s to ensure your systems stay operational.
1. Wipe it down daily. Nothing unusual here, common sense tells us to keep our systems clean, but many terminals fail because of neglect. Especially if the point-of-sale system is in an environment that contains grease or oils, it is important to wipe it down with a light cleaner daily, or at least weekly.
2. Shut the system off. LCD’s fail because they are on day and night, and eventually the backlights burn out. Get more out of your POS system by powering down the display when it is not in use.
3. Do not put anything on the touch screen that’s not meant to be there. Use fingertips, not pens or foreign objects to operate the touch. Also, don’t put any adhesive on the touch screen.
4. Don’t abuse the MSR. The magnetic card reader inside the MSR can get worn, dirty or dislodged with abuse. Clean it regularly by running a pipe cleaner through the card swipe.
5. Use quality paper for your POS printer. Lower quality paper jams more frequently. Please note, it is beneficial to open printer up and clean the teeth once a week.
Comments are closed.